Monday, January 19, 2009

This week, I'll (Steve) be attending a conference on contextualization. Contextualization is the term used in missions for making the Gospel relevant to the context where it is preached. How far do you go? In a Muslim context, do you have your believers meet on Friday instead of Sunday since Friday is the Muslim "holy" day? Is it OK to baptise people in sand when you are in the desert? At what point does contextualization become syncretism? After more than a decade of church planting in a Muslim context I certainly have my ideas, but I want to hold them to myself until after this conference. I'll be posting again next week sometime when I get back to let you know what I learned. Pray for me that I will have an open heart and discernment from the Lord. Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment